Friday, July 30, 2010

Good Dreams

The visions that have appeared to me on that silver lake of dreams have been thought provoking of late.

I dreamed of a life in which consequences were immediate.  As I drove along a road, up a mountain side,  I spoke impatiently to the kids who were buckled in behind me.  Instantly storms began to brew and lightning struck.  I was startled into an awareness of my sins.  My impatience had become so common I no longer noticed it.  A tornado formed and wound its way toward our car.  I felt the imminence of our destruction as I watched the road ripped up around me.  I knew if I did not repent we would all die.  And so I opened my mouth and apologized, and felt so glad!  The tornado dissolved and the clouds rolled away, and we proceeded along the (now bumpy road) toward the mountain top.  "How marvelous!" I thought "at last I can be perfect!"  It would be so, so much easier this way, to have a world in which consequences were immediate.  I think I would be able to be perfect, if only calamities pointed out my every mistake!  I reflected, also, on how as a parent, I can bless my young children by being consistent and quick with the consequences I employ.  It only I was perfect at it, would they be happier, too?

I dreamed of power wielded by evil men bent to destroy.  It was hurled against people, objects, areas, obliterating everything it was turned against.  But there were some who stood up to that evil power, without weapons or malice.  Calmly, powerfully they turned their minds to protection, to wholeness, to strength.  The obliterating evil shattered against the power of their thoughts like a waterfall on rock. That which was protected by those powerful thoughts--focused and unwavering--remained whole.  It worried me, on waking, to reflect on how scattered and distracted my own thoughts are, and how poorly I control them.  I would be disciplined in my thoughts, that they, too, may be powerful.  What should I be protecting?

I dreamed of learning to manipulate matter, to create and recreate, to dissolve and change what was around me.  Sam and I learned together and rejoiced in our new power.  And then, I was mute, and no longer in my training environment.  There were people all around me, sad, and needy.  Silently, I found them, one by one, conceived their trouble, and drew from what was around me to create a gift for them, perfectly suited.  I presented it with a smile and a powerful projection of love.  Each one knew he or she was loved, and was healed!  It was a beautiful dream, a reflection of my heart.
         That dream came to me when I was living in a situation of being misunderstood, resented, and criticized.  How I wanted to be able to give without words, (which were always twisted), and to prove my love and reveal my intentions in a way that could not be misconstrued or marginalized.   I wanted desperately to heal, to bless, to lift and give to the hurting people living around me.  Instead, every action and word brought animosity.  It broke my heart, and the dream was a sweet, sweet balm.

1 comment:

  1. Julia, I hope that one day you will have the time and the inclination to write these dreams into stories and parables. I remember your telling me once, when I was dating someone that I was not to marry, how excited you felt about living in the eternities with Sam, because you would be able to create together. That was good for me to hear, because I didn't and couldn't imagine that with the boy I was dating. You are already creating beautiful ideas and images and stories.

    ReplyDelete