Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tribulation, Patience, Experience, Hope, and back to normal life!

I read Romans 5:3-5 this morning and was touched by the clear exposition it offers of what I learned in the last 2 or three years:


 3And not only so, but we glory in atribulations also: knowing thatbtribulation worketh cpatience;
 4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
 5And ahope maketh not ashamed; because the blove of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
This scripture outlines my Spiritual experience with the difficulties of the last several years so beautifully!  In the midst of the tribulation (a year with the Bernards, Isaac’s medical issues, depression), I gained patience.  In the hardest moments, I felt the Lord's love more powerfully than ever, and came to know and trust in his timing.  Then, with that patience in my heart, I was able to learn from the situation, to see it clearly (both the divine and evil) and gain experience.  And as I gained experience in life, in tribulation, and in the Lord's continued presence and guiding of things, I gained hope.  I felt that all things could work together for my good, and that the Lord was mindful of me.  Even in the darkness, I knew the love of God, and felt to praise Him.   Hope, and an understanding of what hope really is grew in my heart.  Hope is the feeling (gained by experience) that inspires me to act in faith.  I am grateful for those "tribulations."  

I am also very grateful for this time of few tribulations!  The depression is lifting (lifted?) and I am feeling like myself again.  Oh what a joy that is.  I have more respect for the fact that the Lord has it in his power to totally incapacitate me, and therefore more gratitude for having the use of all my faculties, and just feeling good!  On Monday, in fact, I had a slow day--Isaac was grumpy and clingy for no apparent reason--and though I didn't accomplish much that could be seen, I didn't feel guilty, depressed or dissatisfied.  My feelings actually matched what I "knew" (it is okay to have off-days, and my worth is not dictated by productivity.)  Hooray!  I think a variety of factors have combined to bring this about--Spring/Summer is here! the medication seems to be working!  I've had great counseling sessions and have a much clearer picture of what is going on in my head and how to influence it.  I grateful to feel up to getting back into the swing of things.  The kids will get out of school soon, and summer will be busy, but lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment