Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pieces of Heaven

Our three months in Utah is drawing to a close, and I must say, it has been wonderful.  The neighborhood and ward have been wonderful.  Homeschooling is a delight.  The parks and libraries and museums and historical and church sites and mountains and so many things are just excellent.  Seeing family we haven't seen for quite a while and visiting friends, too, has been great.  This time has been very happy.

Yesterday, the kids were antsy and asking to go to the park.  I needed to finish up a few more things, and put them off for a while, but finally agreed that they could go if they all went together, and I would follow soon.  A few minutes later, when I walked down to the park, it was like walking into a beautiful,  heavenly dream.

To get to the park, we walk down into a gulley/valley, where all the colors are now turning with fall.  Then you cross a foot bridge over a creek and come out onto an emerald green lawn, dappled golden with falling leaves.  The autumn sun was warm and mellow, the smells of wood chips and sweet, old leaves was in the air, and there, across the lawn, were my four children happily playing, enjoying the day and the pleasures of childhood.


It was a moment I never want to forget.  There was such a feeling of contentment and joy; I just stood and savored it.  What a beautiful life I have.  What a gift to have these four wonderful children, and to be able to enjoy them every day.  What deliciousness of day, what loveliness of light was there to behold.  Entwining my life with my children's has been so sweet.  I feel like I get to enjoy childhood all over again, and become as a child.  I relish the opportunity.

Tomorrow, we will pack up and Thursday, if all goes well, we will start the journey home.  This has been an enchanted time, and I know that like all enchantments, this one must come to an end.  Still, it has been so pleasant that I can't help hoping for another sort of enchantment in the days ahead.  Winter is coming, and we will be back in Bentonville with it's attendant "real life."  Nevertheless, I hope for the magic of quiet winter days, snuggled cozy and content.  I hope for a continuation of the joy of homeschooling.  I hope for beauty and love and learning and laughter and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment