Friday, July 12, 2013

Mother's Retreat Journal Entry Week #1

Am I filling my Lamp?  Do I shine? 
In short, I think I am shortchanging myself and my family.  The Lord gave me a commission to teach my children social, emotional, physical and spiritual principles, and through a blessing He reaffirmed that the way for me to do that is primarily by example.  I’m not being a great example.  Or, at least, I could certainly be better.  That starts with me filling my own Lamp, I think.  Taking time for me—shining.  For example, I think getting to bed on time and sleeping well and exercise and eating well are super important parts of physical wisdom.  I could do better at all of them.  I think I’m doing okay socially—as a family we are doing more socially now that we have for the last 3 ½ years.  That is good.  Still, I can support the kids in getting more friend time.  It might also be good to talk about what we are doing socially more.  A lot of the people we are socializing with are those Sam and I have identified as needing help/support/friendship.  Yesterday, Ethan confided in me that he feels uncomfortable around the Saintelus family—they are refugees from Haiti, and the single mom of five children is suffering from PTSD, apparently.  The state of their home would qualify as “squalor,” and the kids are not disciplined and consequently a little wild.  They are not at all belligerent or rude or anything like that.  They are nice kids.  They just need more parental guidance.  At first I chided Ethan, but then realized I really need to validate his feelings.  I told him I understood how he could feel uncomfortable, and not want them to come over (I’ve been watching them a fair amount as their mom tries to put things together, and they are currently trying to get rid of bedbugs, which freaks my kids out, as they do NOT want to get them.) I myself am sometimes uncomfortable, but I also believe that is not a reason to give up a good cause! Physically, I’d love to do better.  Making time to get myself exercise has not been a forte.  Even planning healthy meals has eluded me and I’ve been flying by the seat of my pants more than anything else.  I sometimes feel like my brain is spaghetti.  I’d like things to be orderly, and they are not! Self-control (to do things like go to bed and such) is continually elusive for me.  The balance between flexibility and structure is yet elusive.  I tend toward the “flexible” side, because it is easier.  However, what happens when I need structure isn’t always pretty and involves more yelling/frustration than anyone needs.  Spiritually, of course I could still improve.  I went to the temple this morning and that was wonderful.  It feels good to be in the temple.  Yet my personal prayers and scripture study are not what they could be.  I write “prayer notes” every morning, which mostly consists of a (hopefully) spiritually guided to-do list for the day.  But the true conversations with God are not currently happening.  I do take time for the to-do list, so I have time for a conversation.  Being in my closet and praying aloud would be really helpful. Also, scripture study has been different for a while.  For a long while I have felt to concentrate on conference talks (and now the Church published books “Daughters in my Kingdom.”  I feel like both have been really good spiritually for me.  They are very pertinent and I really enjoy and learn from them.  We read the Book of Mormon as a family every day, so I am getting some of that in. . . ought I to be doing more? 
Do I shine?  Am I filling my lamp? How can I shine? How can I best fill my lamp?

First things first.  My top priorities first.  I have a list in my phone of my top daily priorities, but I haven’t looked at it in quite a while.  When reminders pop up, mostly for self-care but also for special time with Dorothea, or calling family, I ignore them.  How dumb is that?  Back to the basics.  The things the Lord has asked of me currently are not more than will fit in my allotted time (they never are, actually.)  Things are pretty simple—pretty basic.  So back to the basics and first things first is important.  I’ll get out my phone and go through my list again and re-commit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment