Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Friend Dixie

Last Friday I woke up very uncomfortable.  I had a bladder infection, or something like, and just walking around was agonizing.  Dixie was due to come at 9 am, but I wasn't up to cleaning with her, so I called to cancel.  She was hesitant, wondered if there wasn't something she could do to help because I wasn't feeling well, or something she could do while I rested.  I said no, because the thought of someone cleaning my house while I lie around is totally uncomfortable for me.  Then I prayed about what to do--I wanted relief immediately!--and felt like I should have a sitz bath.

Sam was able to work from home and handle the kids that morning while I sat in the tub, for which I was very grateful.  As I was sitting there, beginning to feel better, the doorbell rang.  I knew immediately it was Dixie, and felt a little annoyed.  The kitchen was a mess, as was the front room, and both were totally visible from the door.  I didn't want to get out of the tub, and I didn't know what to say.  Sam came to the bathroom door to confirm that it was Dixie, and that she wondered if she couldn't help.  I told him to thank her for stopping by.  He thanked her, and she left, again with hesitations.

When I got out of the bath, Sam told me that Dixie seemed like she really wanted to help--like she needed to help, and would really appreciate the chance.  That was why I had asked for her help in the first place--because she seemed lonely, and like she had the time and inclination to be of service.  Yet, when I really needed help, I was still too embarrassed to receive it.  I got dressed and knelt to pray in gratitude for the swift relief of my symptoms, and just to start my day.  I felt like I should call Dixie back, now that I was feeling better, and accept her offer of help.  I didn't have to call.  Half-way through my prayer, Dixie called again, offering help one more time.  I accepted.

As we worked together, Dixie explained that she just kept feeling that even though I was saying I didn't need anything, I did, and that she ought to come.  She said once she did come, she knew I could use her help, and should've just insisted on helping, but didn't want to be pushy.  We cleaned the kitchen and front room, and did other odds and end, and it felt so much better!  Having someone to work with, having a partner, and a friend makes such a difference.  She didn't want me to pay her for the work that morning--said that I'd told her not to come, after all.  She just wanted to help.

I felt grateful for my friend, Dixie that morning, and I continue to.  I forget that allowing someone to serve me can be a way of blessing her life.  Dixie reminded me, by her determination and desire, and it made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment