Sunday, October 3, 2010

Nourishing Faith revisted

From 9/23.  I'm having trouble remembering to push the "publish post" button apparently.

After pondering on the problem of nourishing, preserving, and sharing faith in atmospheres and communities where such is not the norm, I decided it is well within the realm of possibility.  Of course, doing what we know is the challenge.

Basically, I can continue to do what I am doing--giving more heed to the voices which advocate faith than those that don't.  I can chose to listen to conference talks on the computer as I clean the kitchen.  I can read the scriptures daily, and read through the Ensign over the month.  I can be choosey about the movies I watch and the media I bring into our home.  Not having a television has made that job much easier.  I can read the scriptures daily with the kids as a family, and encourage them to read personally, too.  I can go to church on Sunday and prepared for and participate in the meetings.  See?  Not so hard!

I was reminded, as I pondered that question, that Satan has no power that we do not give him, and the Lord has prepared a way for us to live the gospel, no matter what our circumstances.  I choose how I frame a situation--my paradigm is created from my thoughts patterns, and though those thoughts are often influenced by chemicals/hormones and physical considerations as well as the influences I am subjected to (often my own choice), they are nevertheless mine to choose.  I love this article as I struggle with depression, and negative thoughts.  Likewise, struggling with doubt, I can choose faith.  Alma said we only need to have a desire to believe.  If we really desire faith, we choose to fill our thoughts with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment