Sunday, October 17, 2010

On Prosperity

The theme "if you obey my commandments, you will prosper in the land," jumps out at me quite a bit in the Book of Mormon.  I think it is in there about a hundred times or more.  Today as I was reading the last chapters of Alma and the first of Helaman, I thought about what the Lord means when he promises we will "prosper" for our obedience.

He promised Nephi he would prosper before even getting to the promised land. (2 Ne 2:20) Yet Nephi was continuously threatened, beaten up and condemned by his brothers, he almost starved, along with is wife, children and family, and he certainly wasn't getting ahead in terms of wealth or possessions.

I've personally known lots of righteous people in this land who are continually getting the short end of the stick in terms of health, wealth and social standing.  If "prosper" means to be "successful or fortunate; to thrive; flourish" what in their lives meets that criteria? 

Of course, the Lord must be talking about eternal things.  When we are obedient, the blessings we get help us thrive in ways that are often unseen, except to us.  Nephi praised God for his goodness to them through the trials of the wilderness and saw His hand prospering them because of their obedience to him.  (1 Nephi 17:1-3) Interestingly, his brothers, who walked the same trail with Nephi, were so miserable they claimed they would have been better off dead.  Perhaps part of the promised prosperity is the ability to see the eternal in the temporal--to understand the workings of God and therefore be able to walk in gratitude and peace even when times are hard.

Sue Cragun, mother of a close friend of mine, passed away a couple of months ago after an 8 year long struggle with breast cancer.  She has long been an example to me of faith, perseverance and raising a righteous posterity.  Her son, David, who is my good friend, has always seemed to me like one of the Sons of Helaman--strong in faith and purity and goodness.

Sue was a writer, and some of her thoughts were included in her funeral, including the following:

Sept. 3, 2009


 I’ve just realized that I could never have been exalted without my suffering. I needed these illnesses and some other adversities in order to learn of my total dependence on God and my inability to save myself. I have always believed that I can do it, whatever it is, if I just think, plan, and try hard enough. I have always been prideful about being strong and in control of my circumstances. But I see that
I cannot save myself. I cannot make myself perfect simply by willing it and doing it. Because I will make another mistake. And another.


Without my physical illnesses I am strong and capable. With them I am pretty worthless. Many
days (and nights), I cannot get through by myself. I simply have to pray continuously to be
carried by my Savior. And I am. HE has the power. I do not. When I pray I simply turn it all
over to Him, letting Him know of my dependence and total weakness. Letting Him know I can’t
do it and it’s up to Him. Letting go and trusting that He will do with me whatever is best. And
accepting the resulting response without kicking.


Without these experiences my heart would not have gotten broken and contrite. Because pride
hardens my heart so I will be “tough” and capable on my own. I guess before these last few
years I never really found anything I felt I couldn’t do on my own. Raising seven little kids on a
budget and with their Dad not home much was a snap, comparatively. It would probably be the
other way around for some people. But for me, the last dozen years of emotional struggle and
physical suffering have rubbed through my hard heart and worn out my pride. Gradually I’m
learning of the essential partaking of My Father’s power. Gratitude for being carried so much
has increased my appreciation for the invitation to “Come into Me…”


 I see that it has been a gift of God’s grace, a tender mercy of a loving Father, to
allow me these sufferings and then to journey close beside me, supporting me through them so I
have the time to learn. To be cracked open and allow the softening, cleansing agent of the Holy
Ghost to flood my heart and fill it with humility. So I can be a partner with Jesus Christ and
receive His merciful gift of newness.


 I fight weakness, anger, discouragement, depression. And then as I study and pray and ponder and cling to my husband’s strength, I feel that those things don’t mean I am failing. I am allowed the time and lastingness to be instructed a little deeper in ways of holiness. I find my will painfully being eroded away and all my hope attaching to my Savior.


I am completely grateful for Father in Heaven’s generous mercy in allowing me these tailored trials for my profit. Without them I might never have come into His presence. It must be very hard for Him to watch me suffer, as He loves me so much. In fact, He loves me sufficiently that He sees my potential and so is willing to walk with me through the necessary experiences that I require to learn to give my whole heart and trust to Him. And He has allowed his Other Dear Son to provide my way home to Him after I’ve learned and done what I can do.


I cannot express my gratitude. How blessed I am!


With appreciation, Sue Cragun


I believe Sue prospered.  She lived on a tight budget, and was not among the social or academic elite.  Her health was not "fortunate," yet she prospered in the Lord.  She felt herself flourishing even when her physical body was failing her.  Is there any greater success than to overcome the world?  To be able to stand, buffeted by the telestiality of this life, and not be moved?  I cannot think of a success I would rather have.

1 comment:

  1. Her words remind me so much of what I've been reading in Elder Maxwell's biography. He also felt that his leukemia was a tutorial in submission and drawing closer to God. I have to admit that reading those thoughts makes me a little scared of what life holds... Although I also know that no price is to great to know God.

    ReplyDelete